DolphinHotelLogoDEVON_lg

The Dolphin Hotels History...

For centuries Beer with Seaton was owned by the Waldron family.

 

In June 1778 Judith Waldron, the only surviving family heir, married John Rolle who later created Baron Rolle (1776) and Beer became part of the Rolle Estate.

 

The Dolphin appears in the 1774 Survey as part of a small farm held by Jacob Bonner and is listed under the name Micho’s and includes the Dolphin orchard. This is the earliest record of the name we have seen.

 

The Estate Records can only tell us the tenants name and rent, but the question arises as to whether Jack Rattenbury the famous smuggler held an Inn or Beerhouse in Beer

 

Unfortunatley there is a gap in the records kept between 1809 to 1829. In her well-researched book “Smuggler, John Rattenbury 1778/1844” Eileen Hathaway writes that it was possible that J.R. took the Dolphin Inn in 1808/9. In Novenmber 1808, he writes in his book that after a smuggling trip to Alderney he went to a public house for drink when he was apprehended by the South Devon Militia for desertion from the Royal Navy. This may have been the Dolphin Inn.

 

G.Millington, Achivist

 

 

 

Dolphin_Hotel_Old-01

The Historical Dolphin Hotel in Pictures...